The principal beneficiaries of the estate of Pam & Harold Silver namely Vicki & Claire Silver have established a special Memorial Fund to further the outstanding work of their parents. The administrating of this fund has been set up through DEAFAX, which is a registered charity and with support from METEC (Medical Education Technology Enterprises Consortium) which will aim to support research and other projects and activities which improve access to Further & Higher Education for those disadvantaged by Deafness, Poverty, Special Needs/Disability, Ethnicity, Gender or other factors.
All those involved foresee the fund being established and managed in the following way:
- The initial capital of up to £500.000 has been donated to DEAFAX which Harold helped to set up with Ken Carter and now led by Helen Lansdown (CEO) and will manage the fund in perpetuity.
- The capital to be invested appropriately by the Trustee/Directors with professional advice as a designated fund
- The fund to be titled “The Pam and Harold Silver Memorial Fund”
- The income generated from the investment may be used on an annual basis or other period which the charity trustees may decide
- It may be used to support a piece of research, a project or pilot project, a scoping exercise, the development of assistive technology and software, conferences, seminars, publications or other multi-media productions which aims to promote and improve access to Further & Higher Education for those who may be disadvantaged as described above
- It may also be used as an annual bursary to support individuals who otherwise would not be able to reach their full potential in Further Higher Education
- It may also be used to purchase equipment, technology and software which will assist and enable disadvantaged people to reach their full potential in Higher Education
- It may be used to support suitable projects and activities within the charity itself or to fund suitable projects and activities being undertaken by other charities
- In all cases, the support provided should be deemed by the Trustee/Directors to be additional to and not to duplicate or replace funding which should properly be provided by public bodies.
Helen Lansdown – CEO of Deafax: email@example.com
Ken Carter – Founder of Deafax / Director of the Deafax Research & Development Unit / Coordinator of METEC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terry Waller – Chair of Deafax Trustee/Directors
Kirsty Crombie-Smith – Honorary Treasurer of Deafax
METEC stands for Medical Education Technology Enterprises Consortium
Deaf Aspirations: deafaspirations.org
Deaf First: Deaf Faculty for Innovation, Research, Sports & Technology: deafsportsfootballfoundation.org
GOALS4LIFE (Global Online Assisted Learning & Support): goals4life.org.uk